Thursday, February 7, 2008

Hey, I've Got Cancer!

Yup, the title is not a joke. I wrote last month about my biopsy and it came back indicating that I have a basal cell carcinoma. To quote Lola, fuckinghell.

So, my HMO's preferred way to treat this is Mohs surgery. Yes, the name is probably a little close to mohel for my male Jewish friends. In this procedure they cut small sections of the cancer area and drop a dye into the tissue to test for cancer. If it's positive they keep on cutting. If it's negative, the doc stops. Sounds better than digging out a chunk of my face.

Initially reading that e-mail was a bit of a shock. At 44 I didn't expect to have cancer (damn you misleading healthy lifestyle!). But, given the type and the treatment I'm not excessively worried. At the risk of sounding vain, I did ask the dermatologist if he's also get me a plastic surgeon referral, just in case this thing is deep so I'm not left with a crater next to my nose. And if it's not, I can always get a new set of boobs, just to see what it's like.

3 comments:

lola h. said...

moyel. *snicker*

make sure you don't have any extra skin hanging around your earlobe or anything.

sorry to hear, and i hope that everything gets resolved soon and not too painfully.

Anonymous said...

jesus h.

well, hey, maybe now you can patent your own useless rubber bracelets!

good luck. keep us posted.

Chat Wrecker said...

Thanks to both of you for the wishes. I promise to be sure that all other hanging skin is accounted for. I'll also try and think of the appropriate color for my bracelet. Yellow, pink and red (Colbert's wrist) are taken. Hm...maybe orange (GO VOLS!).