Monday, February 25, 2008

Another Reason Tiger Kicks Their Asses

It's gotta be tough being a professional golfer not named Tiger. You've practiced what you think is hard your whole life. You think you've eaten well, honed your game and convinced yourself you're a winner. And for what? To get your ass handed to you on a regular basis.

More proof of this was at the Match Play Championships this weekend. Early on, a couple of guys had Tiger on the ropes, but couldn't seal the deal. Then, he obliterates Steward Cink in the finals yesterday.

But here's the thing: Most of the guys he plays against come off as rich, spoiled bitches. Tiger says, "All I know is I love to play against the best players in the world. I love winning and I hate losing." Stenson, the guy who won the tournament last year says, "If I was to make the decisions on this championship, I think probably Justin [Leonard, who he played in the consolation match] and I would have been happy not to play today and take a tie for third place. It is hard to mobilize the energy for a match for third place."

Now, forget about that the difference between Stenson winning or losing was $175 large. I'm glad that's chump change for him. And, never mind about the fans who paid real money or tuned in on TV to watch him play. My guess is that if the match was to determine who would finish 63rd or 64th and Tiger was involved, he'd make damn sure he didn't lose because he NEVER wants another guy to think he has a chance the next time they play. You just can't turn that on and off. That's why Stenson, like most of the other guys on the PGA tour, roll over like a $5 whore when they play Tiger. They'd just rather take the easy money and not really challenge themselves. They just don't care about winning enough, or else they'd try to do it ALL the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you watch ALL of the sports?

You fascinate me...really. You're way too smart and yet you seem extremely well rounded.

Where is your mother? I want to call her and say "Well done."

:)