Thursday, February 28, 2008

End of Bachelor Week...Or Is It?

The one day per week that I normally pick up the HB we try to do something special, or, as we call it, go on an adventure. Unfortunately, when that day moved to Wednesday it meant that we couldn't go to the LA County Museum of Art as that is the day it is closed. So, today we relived old times by going. Even better, the new BCAM wing is now open.

I've never been a big believer in taking the HB to a museum so he'll be "exposed" to art. Rather, I look for exhibits that he can relate to. I won't walk him through hallways of virgin mary paintings or Monet's cathedrals and haystacks (no matter how much I love them) because he'll just be bored.

I think like most kids he's drawn to the bright colors of modern art. When we go into a gallery I'll let him walk ahead and see what he goes to. Sometimes it's Picassos, but today it was Koons (because we could make funny faces in the reflections) and some Lichtenstein (because they looked like cartoons). It gave us a chance to have a conversation about art and artists and make some jokes. For instance, when the nephew was really young he would give me and my wife his scribbles. Whenever we saw some abstract art we would look at each other and say, "Nephew Art." When I mentioned this to him while we were looking at some paintings without identifiable subjects he thought it was HILARIOUS.

The ground floor has a great Serra installation. Besides the hugeness of it (something else that appeals to kids) it was cool to walk (OK, run) through it and hear the different echoes.

Tomorrow my wife comes home, though I don't exactly know when yet. It depends on her meeting schedule in the morning. However, she won't get back until after my surgery (I'll post about that separately). Her return is NOT the end of bachelor week as a buddy of mine is having his bachelor party Saturday night. Woot!

Best I can tell is that about 10 of us are going to meet up near his place at about 1:30 pm on Saturday where he or his best man have already reserved us a few hotel rooms and a bus to drive us around to all of his favorite bars in SoCal then back to the hotel. As far as I know, no strippers have been hired for the evening nor are any such clubs on the itinerary. I'm ambivalent about this. Going to strip clubs was never one of my favorite things to do, but it doesn't seem like a bachelor party without making the obligatory stop at one. Then when one considers that many of the women at the clubs or who we could hire for a private party would be young enough to be my daughter, it just gets down right creepy.

After filling my wife in on the general plan, especially the, "I'm not coming home on Saturday night" part she says, "Well, you should check with the doctor to see if you can drink this weekend." Hahahahha. Since I'm just getting a local, I'm thinking it's not a problem.

No comments: