Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Who is Selling Who

I heard from a guy at a (good) client today. He's leaving for greener pastures. I only got a quick e-mail from him so I don't know all of the details yet. As a general rule, someone who has been good to me leaving a long time client is good news. Why? I'll still have that client and it's likely that I'll get his/her next employer as one, too. Of course, it doesn't always work that way, but it usually does. That's why when consulting it's good to get to know a LOT of people at a client site. You never know who is staying or who is going and it's relationships that keep you there.

I had lunch with a guy who wants to form an alliance with my company. He selling human resources software and I provide a service that would fit under its umbrella. We were also supposed to meet with another vendor under this umbrella, but she flaked (let's keep that in mind for the future). When someone says they are going to sell work for me I always smile and tell them what a great idea that is and think to myself, "Yeah, when monkeys fly out of my ass." I can count the number of times that someone's sold a project for me with my pants down. That's why I left my previous firm--it's HARD to sell consulting work for someone else, especially when you are trying to sell your shit. And it's not like I'm any better at it than they are. At least my investment in this enterprise is minimal at this point.

Fortunately, I have a few more live leads in pipeline right now.

No comments: