Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Aunts are Falling Like Flies

A few posts ago I mentioned my wife's aunt who couldn't remember what she had for breakfast but could tell you everything about her immigration to the U.S. from Italy. Well, unfortunately, she died the other day. She was 95 and her diabetes finally caught up with her after having several amputations. Since she lived where it's cold they don't do burials there until the ground thaws, so the funeral/memorial service won't be held for a few more weeks. I'm sure my wife will make the trip out there for it.

On top of that, one of my aunts has been sent home from the hospital for hospice care. She had been in and out of the hospital with breathing problems, low red blood cell count and lung cancer around her diaphragm. Yesterday they found that the cancer had spread to her liver and pancreas, the latter which isn't treatable under the best of circumstances, so that's that. This is going to be really hard on my mom because her other sister is in very poor health as well. She has had a history of weird health problems (meningitis when she was in her teens and a non-malignant tumor removed from behind her eye) and had a bad stroke about a year ago which will keep her in a nursing home the rest of her life.

Odd story: my mom has two sisters and two brothers. Her dad said it was OK for the boys, but not the girls, to smoke. So, of course, my mom and her sisters smoked and my uncles never did.

My aunt who's going into hospice was always kinda bitchy when I was growing up, but mellowed out as her kids got older (hm, no surprise there). But, she has always been great to the HB. When my grandmother on the other side of the family died, she was the last of that generation to go in my extended family. At her unveiling my now terminal aunt commented to no one in particular, "Well, I guess we're next." That was 8 years ago.

1 comment:

lola h. said...

sorry you're having the same auntie issues i am. sad. but glad to know that life moves forward somehow. i guess.