Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Vote Pennsylvanians, Vote!

I am officially sick and fucking tired of the primary season. The wife and I watched a little CNN last night and they were talking about the most inane things. Perhaps the coverage is usually like that (I don't watch much news on TV) or they've just run out of things to say, but we watched for 10-15 minutes and there was NO discussion about the candidates' position on any issues.

My wife asked me, "If you had a gun to your head, who would you vote for, Clinton or Obama?" I gave it some thought and said,"Obama." I've always felt that Clinton was a calculating politician like the men I detest (see her carpetbagging to New York). And, I could NEVER forgive her voting to give Bush the gun in Iraq. So, given that there's not a nickel's worth of difference between her positions and Obama's, I would go with him.

What surprised me was that my wife felt the same way. She's been a Clinton supporter through the campaign, but she has definitely tired of her and the pettiness of her campaigning (or, what at least makes the news). I think she's worried that all the distractions from the issues will turn out to be an advantage to McCain.

What kills me is the transitive property of primary wins that both sides try to use. Clinton: I won CA, so that makes me the better candidate. Uh, CA will be won by either her or Obama in the general election. Obama: "But I won Idaho." Umb, I don't think a democratic presidential candidate will win Idaho in my lifetime, so who cares who wins the primary?

As a spectator, I just want it to be done. For that reason, I hope Obama scores a big victory so this will be OVER. Alas, I don't think that's the case. It will be close. Maybe one wins the popular vote and the other gets an extra delegate. Either way, they'll essentially split the delegates, then it's off to North Carolina. Ugh.

1 comment:

lola h. said...

i am SO not coming to visit you now. hrmph.