Friday, April 4, 2008

Crossing Every t and Dotting Every i

I'm not the best details guy. I know what they are, but I'd rather focus on the big idea then the little stuff. I don't say that either with pride (as if the details are below me) or shame (I'm really good at the big idea). But, for the assessment program I ran today, and will again tomorrow, takes tracking down a LOT of details.

So, I printed everything I needed last night, organized files and put all of the shit in my car. The HB had a whiny friend sleepover and they crashed in the TV room. I took one of the downstairs bedrooms since I had to get up at the crack of fucking dawn and didn't want to wake up the boys or my wife. Laid out all of my clothes before going to be and slept blissfully until my phone alarm went off. I got ready and dressed on time and hit the road when I wanted to. Just one small problem...I forgot to shave. Christ.

So, when I get near my client's location, I pulled into a Stop-and-Rob and bought a razor that came with a small can of shaving cream, thinking that I'll be able to clean up before things get started. But noooooooooooooooooo...the bathrooms were still locked and I couldn't check on them later until after my client and the participants got there. So, I had the Euro look all day. I put the the razor and cream next to the downstairs sink so that I don't forget tomorrow.

Yesterday's work paid off as they day went off without a hitch. A few whines from the participants, but that's par for the course.

Oh, and FYI. Do NOT give your business to Rent-a-Center. I needed to rent some camcorders from them for the two days and they gave me a great story about how they could get two for me by Tuesday. Tuesday comes, no cameras. Wednesday comes, no cameras. Thursday comes, "Oh, someone's driving them up after a meeting that's going to be over at 10, I mean 1, I mean..." As it turns out, I bought the cameras at an electronics place and the 15% restocking fee is about half of what Rent-a-Center was going to charge me. A good thing to remember.

No comments: