Saturday, January 5, 2008

New Year's 2008 Post 1--NYE and NYD

OK, I've been baaaaaaaaaaaaad about updating my blog of late. I won't make any empty resolution promises, except to say that I'm going to get caught up over the next day or so.

On New Year's eve we grabbed the HB and our nephew and went to
first night in the city where the wife and and I first lived together, even though it was booze free. As a treat we got a hotel room for the night at Embassy Suites (the HB and the nephew love the pool and mondo breakfast). I brought a bottle of bubbly for me and the wife for when we got back to the hotel.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much at first night for the boys to do. It was setup either for adults or little kids. So, we only stayed for about an hour and then went back to the hotel and rented a movie. At 11:55 we switched to a New Year's TV show, watched the ball drop then hit the hay.

The wine we drank at midnight was a sparkling shiraz that some friends of ours gave us. I would not recommend it.

On New Year's morning I got up and watched the Vols take care of Wisconsin in the Outback Bowl. At halftime we got some breakfast and my wife took the boys swimming. After check out we went to my parents. My wife, my mom and the HB went to the movies while my dad and I watched USC kick the living shit out of Illinois (more about the bowl match ups in a a follow-up football post).

We had dinner at my parents and then they watched the HB while my wife and I went to see Social Distortion at the House of Blues. Yes, there is great irony in seeing the iconic OC punk band at Disneyland, but that's how things go. I hadn't seen Social D in many years, but let me tell you, this was a treat. Mike Ness's voice is still great and the band rocked. They started by doing folk versions of some of their best songs (including Ball and Chain), and then did punk versions of some Hank Williams songs. The rest of the set was awesome, including some new songs. Catch them when they come your way.

All in all, a great way to kick off the year. Hope that your New Years was good as well.

1 comment:

lola h. said...

happy new year, my friend!