Thursday, July 26, 2007

Happy Anniversary

Tuesday was the 14th anniversary for me and the wife. We actually celebrate two: Our first date and our wedding. We celebrate the former because we never really knew if we were going to get married (we dated for 5 years and then lived together for another 4 before we tied the knot). We got married at my b-i-l's house. It was a beautiful craftsman (which he has since sold). The ceremony was performed without rings and without the word god uttered by a pretty cool county judge who was recommended to me by a friend. Before the ceremony I chatted him up a little. After a drink or two I asked him why a guy who was pulling down pretty good coin would spend a chunk of his weekend performing weddings for a couple of hundred bucks. He took a slow drag on his drink and said (I'm paraphrasing a bit), "Y'know, the scum of the earth comes through my courtroom every day. Seeing young people commit to be with each other reminds me that most of the world is a good place and it helps me keep my perspective on things."

The morning of the wedding I played golf with some friends. Traditionally we had always gotten out and played something the morning one of us got married. When we were in our 20's it was basketball, so I guess this meant we were getting up there a bit. One thing that stayed constant was that the dude getting married ALWAYS played out of his mind that day. This was no exception as I shot the round of my life. So, I come home all happy and the wife is in TEARS. Why, because her hair was not styled as she had wanted it that morning and she was trying to do something with it (it looked fine to me).

The wedding was pretty short (I tease people that induction ceremonies in my Rotary Club take longer) but the party afterwards was fun (lots of food and a reggae band). Since we were getting ready to move across country a week after the wedding, we chose a very mellow honeymoon at the Ritz Carlton in Laguna. We didn't get out much (though did have a great steak dinner in San Clemente one night) and it was nice to relax for a few days.

So, what did we do this year? Well, the first thing we did was get wedding rings. She had been wanting one for a couple of years and even bought a pseudo one for occasions when she thought she should have one on. I'll post pics when we get them. After that we went for Mexican food and margaritas (yeah, I was really productive that afternoon).

That night we took the HB to see the new Harry Potter at the IMAX, which was very cool. Especially since the last 20 min was in 3D. He left the theater really blown away.

No comments: