Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Greetings from SLC

So, I'm in the 2002 Olympic City for the Rotary International Convention. I haven't been here in a few years and I must say things are better. First, there are some micro-breweries in downtown and the beer is pretty good. Second, it's a bit more of, well, a city. Monday night I found a blues club. Now, I'm not gonna say that anyone playing in the jam session was gonna make you forget about Buddy Guy or Eric Clapton. But, there were a fair number of decent musicians, including an Asian-American who sang some pretty good Elmore James. What struck me was the number of inter-racial couples and women with tattoos. As for the former, there just aren't that many African-Americans in town, so it shouldn't be too surprising. As for the latter, Utah has always attracted its fair share of bikers, and with the great snowboarding and mountain biking it's not really a shocker that the city is attracting more 'outsiders'. But, it makes for a good vibe.

My hotel is quite fashionable with vertically stripped wall paper and leopard patterned bathrobes. It even has a FREE happy hour. Oh, did I mention it is a very gay friendly hotel? No matter. The service is great and it has an awesome gym and restaurant. I'd totally stay here again.

The convention is OK. I like meeting Rotarians from New Zealand because they are so much fun and I know a lot of people there from my club's work with New Zealand high school students. But, I've met Rotarians from Europe, Asia, Africa, North America and Australia since I've been here. It's very cool.

No comments: