Saturday, June 23, 2007

Being a Homebody

This time a year my Friday's at work can be pretty slow. Lots of people taking 3-day weekends, being on vacation, etc. So, it leaves me plenty of time to get other shit done.

First off was doing some backyard upkeep. Right before I started this blog we completely redid our backyard. We took out nearly all of the trees and put in native plants, cut back on the grass and started using stones for ground cover and got a hot tub (that was the key to the deal). The woman who helped us design all of this was great, though she seriously under charges, so we invited her back. I wanted to be sure that the sprinkler system was set properly for the summer and put in some trellises since our vines are growing, well, like weeds. So, after doing putting up the trellises (eye hooks and wires) on the wood fence, it was off to Osh to get some more serious hooks and a masonry drill bit so we could set the up on the wall. We finished off the afternoon by fertilizing just about everything. I'm not really much of a gardener, but it was a fun way to spend a few hours. The backyard lady is good conversation, so the time went quickly.

After putzing around in the backyard, I picked up the HB at camp (my wife had some late meetings). Usually when I pick him up I like for us to go do something as opposed to him playing gameboy for an hour and/or getting into it with the budding sociopath. So, we went kayaking in the marina. We had gone previously and he was so-so on it, I think because he wasn't physically strong enough. But, this time he really dug it and paddled most of the time. We'll give it another try in a week or two to see if he's still interested and/or it's worth getting a season pass or buying one.

2 comments:

lola h. said...

i love my kayak. it's one of the best things about having a lake! ;)

Chat Wrecker said...

Very cool. If the HB shows any more interest I would definitely consider buying one.