Thursday, August 14, 2008

Bachelor Livin'

So far, so good. No homesick calls from the HB and the wife had dinner with a friend of ours from when we lived in Boston.

My thinking for dinner was, "Hm...what can I make that neither my wife or the HB will eat?" The answer: very spicy seafood jambalaya. And I had a secret ingredient: one of the HOT Thai peppers my friend brought me the other day. By HOT I mean remembering washing my hands a couple of times before taking a leak, even an hour after cutting them and washing my hands about 100 times.

I had a late conference call with my Hong Kong client (while the jambalaya was in the oven), then started going through the Olympic DVR backlog. Bummer about Amanda Beard not even qualifying for the semis in her event.

I was talking to someone about Olympic basketball, and I made some comment about no one from the World Champion Celtics (typing that makes me want to puke) being on any of the teams. His retort was that the Olympics was the true world championship because there were teams representing countries. That's a typical European nationalistic view of the world. There probably aren't any players on a non-NBA team that could start in the NBA. Why do I say that? Because the NBA scouts the Euro/Asian leagues and pays the best players enough money for them to come here. Are there some NBA players signing in Europe? Of course there are, just like ther are major league baseball players who play in Japan. Are they starting players? No. The exception to this rule might be high school players who choose not to play for one year in college.

So, what determines the best team in the world? The best team a country can put together or the best team made up of players from a variety of countries? I can see the argument for the former, but the latter is the truest test.

I'd be remiss if I didn't wish Jen a happy birthday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wishes, Mister.

I miss you.