Saturday, March 29, 2008

A Very Nice Wedding

Regular reader(s) will recall the weird wedding my wife and I went to a couple of weeks ago. Last night we had a chance to go to a very cool one.

Our friends Fred and Tina tied the knot. It's her first and his second. He also brings two kids (a girl who is 13 and a boy who is 15) to the party. He's my age (in fact, his birthday is the day before my wife's) and she's in her early 30s.

The wedding took place just before sunset in a park in a marina (very close to the beach). I teased Fred that she must have serious faith in her hairdresser as it was as likely be foggy and/or windy. It was clear, if a bit breezy (being a good planer, Tina had wraps available for the women). There were about 50 people there and was officiated by one of Fred's childhood friends (he had baptized his kids and I'm guessing officiated his first wedding). As I later found out, Tina is a bit estranged from her dad, but he was there with a big smile on his face (her brother walked her up the aisle). Given how chilly it was, it was the fastest leaving group of wedding guests I've every seen.

The reception was at a local hotel, but they had recently redone this particular ballroom in California Mission style so it was nice and comfortable. As both Fred and Tina have successful law practices, they didn't scrimp on the table clothes, napkins, silver, etc. The food was great and it was an open bar (woot!). One of Fred's brothers made a terrific toast and when Tina danced with her dad they were both laughing and clearly enjoying the moment.

The wife and I danced a little and had some great conversations with the people at our table (we knew some of them). We were still a bit dragging from the DC trip and taking the HB and some of his buddies to Universal Studios as part of his birthday weekend earlier in the day (more about his birthday in an upcoming entry).

As a general rule, I LOVE weddings since they remind me of mine, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was a great feeling to see two people so very much in love (and with such supportive friends and family) taking the plunge, even after Fred's first one didn't work out. A clink of the champagne glass to them both.

No comments: