Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day Weekend

As you know by now, Cal did beat Tennessee on Saturday. I met a friend of mine from grad school and his gf in Berkeley. It was great seeing my friend and his longtime gf, who I hadn't met before. She was, let's say, a bit coarser that I would have imagined, but good company. We invited a mutual friend of ours (and who I used to sleep with in school) who lives in the Bay Area to the game, but she couldn't make it. We then found a couple of places to eat and drink. Unfortunately, Berkeley doesn't have a ton of places to eat and many of them are tiny, so everything was really crowded.

The Cal fans were pumped, so the atmosphere at the game was great. Cal made a big plays early in the game (forcing a fumble that was run back for a touchdown and running back a punt) and UT could not come up with a big play. That was the two touchdown difference in the game.

After the game all of the bars were jam packed, so we went to a Japanese place. There were a couple of obnoxious drunks in there (very odd considering the zen ambiance), but they left shortly after we got there. After we got some beers and food out moods picked up considerably. So we hung out for a bit then caught the BART back to our respective hotels (they were staying in SF, I was near the Oakland airport).

For whatever reason, I've lost my ability to sleep in hotels without sleeping pills. I didn't want to take one because I had to get up early for my flight and I paid for it. I got about 2 hours of sleep (I slept for 12 hours the next night). So, I was totally beat when I got home and then during my fantasy football draft (I won't bore you with the details), so I didn't drink beer during it (which may or may not have helped). My wife was with her family and dropping off the HB for a sleepover at the nephew's so I had a chance to get home, chill and go for a bike ride before she got home. As mentioned above, I crashed way early.

Today we had my parents over for some grilling. We ate inside since it's VERY hot (well, for SoCal). Also had a chance to watch Haas beat Blake in 5 sets at the US Open. After the weekend, I'm really looking forward to getting back to work (sorta) tomorrow and getting the HB back in school on Wed.

1 comment:

lola h. said...

hey! you forgot to mention the fact that i texted you during the game to make sure you knew one of your players wasn't paralysed! dude!

you've got your first bit o' spam. you're famous!