Wednesday, May 2, 2007

My Aunt

I spoke with my cousin earlier today and my aunt in hospice is fading. She's really weak, not eating and really pissed that she's not dead yet (which is very fitting with her personality). I had an odd conversation with my mom about this the other day and it was almost as if she was inviting me to the funeral (I'm planning on going and will most likely bring the HB).

Unfortunately, going to the funeral will contain the additional stressor of me being the religious black sheep. Tradition (sung in Tevye's voice from Fiddler on the Roof) will certainly overcome my family making the infrequent observer turn Hassidic. I respect their practices (at any level), but don't want to pretend I believe in any of that stuff. Participating would be a charade and a poor example for the HB. At the same time, I'm not trying to make a statement and don't particularly want to draw attention to myself when we'll be there to pay respects to my aunt. The HB and I may be on our own (or with a couple of my cousins' kids) for a bit of the time.

On top of this, I get an e-mail from my wife today suggesting that we go on a vacation with my parents. First, if kids or parents come along, you're on a trip, not a vacation. I love my parents and they and my wife get along great, but this seems a little weird to me. Plus, trying to figure out where we all want to go and what we'll do will be a nightmare. On the positive side, wherever we go we'll have some built in babysitting. Maybe we'll take a cruise or some such.

No comments: