Sunday, August 30, 2009

It Might Get Loud

We did see It Might Get Loud, and it was very good. It very earnestly tracks the careers and development of Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White. They also share some insights into their creative processes and get in some killer playing.

It did leave me with a few thoughts/questions:

1) Why has Jimmy Page's output since Zeppelin been so poor?

2) It confirmed for me that The Edge is more about sound than guitar playing. He could have been just as creative as a keyboard player as a guitar player.

3) How did a white kid from Detroit get so damned good at playing the blues? I always thought White's playing sounded like he was taming a wild animal. As it turns out, he feels the same way about it.

My brother and the wife really dug the movie, as I thought they would. The HB faded at the mid-point then rallied at the end. I got him to give me the OK to put some more cool guitar music on his iPod, so that was somewhat of a victory. It was hard to provide him an analogy of how popular Zeppelin was in the day.

Given the quality of the film, and the popularity of the subject, I'm sure it'll get nominated for an Oscar in the best documentary category.

Tomorrow starts getting back to normal. The HB's at my parents for the night and tomorrow, so both the wife and I both get a full day at work. Tuesday we'll probably split things up, then he's back at school on Wednesday. Whew...

No comments: