Sunday, August 30, 2009

Guitar Playin'

I went with my brother and a friend of his to see Jack White's latest band The Dead Weather on Thursday night at a club about an hour from here. I would have seen them closer, but I had other scheduling issues. It's been hot here (as I'm sure you've heard from the fires) and even with fans in this place everyone was sweating.

The songs were great (they only played tunes from the CD) and they played them well. I kinda felt bad for Dean Fertita (the guitar player) in that on the two songs when Jack White put on a guitar (me mostly played drums) the crowd went nuts and for good reason as White's solos were much more smokin'. Alison Mossheart has a good stage presence, but not a lot of range.

All and all it was awesome to see them in a such a small venue (about 250 people).

Speaking of guitars, the wife and I are going to take the HB and my brother to see It Might Get Loud this afternoon. When it comes to rock and roll, I would rather hear a good guitar player than a good singer any time, so I've been dying to see the film. It'll get us out of the heat and provide some great guitar licks as well.