Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Penultimate Day for the NZS

The NZS heads out tomorrow night. I booked my flight to Philly at around 1pm (which doesn't get me there until 10:30pm), so I won't be here to officially see him off. That sucks, but my hands were pretty much tied. A cousin-in-law will pick me up and seeing as he's a big college football fan, I'm sure he'll have the FL-OK game on the radio (or at least know a place where we can catch the 4th quarter).

The talk before the Rotary Club went well. The NZS had a pretty good outline and covered the high points. He was well received and several people came up and chatted with him afterwards. We then went to his high school and got him officially withdrawn from classes and he had a chance to hang with some buds for the last time (though a few will be at the airport tomorrow).

For his last dinner he wanted something American, so I made jambalaya. I made it as mild as I could, but he and the HB still thought it was too spicy...lol.

Having the NZS here has been a great experience for all of us. It has really opened the HB's eyes to the world and has really stoked his interest in travel. The wife was a bit skeptical at first, but she really warmed up to him. Most of all, the NZS made some great friends and had an experience he'll always remember. He met a lot of people and saw a lot of things (including our election) that he neve would have on his island. And I guess that's what going on the exchange is all about.

As with all big life things, him going home is bittersweet. It's been great having him, but it will be nice to let go of the resonsibility and have a bit more quiet and flexibility in the house. He misses home and his parents miss him. I wish him well and I'll miss him.

No comments: