Friday, January 9, 2009

Funeral Day

First off, it was fucking freezing today. I can't believe it made the 30s and it was windy. This made the time at the grave site very challenging. But, I'm ahead of myself.

Despite the cold, a lot of people came to the memorial service. Lots of old friends of the family and relatives and muckety-mucks from my uncle's company. My uncle had been very active in his synagogue for a while and he and the rabbi were close, so he gave a stirring and personal eulogy. The overall theme was not dark, rather more a celebration of his life. Of course there was sadness, but things were not morose.

For whatever reason, my aunt and uncle had bought funeral plots far away from their home and it seemed like it took forever to get there, even when running the red lights. I road out with my brother and uncle (on the other side of the family). At the grave site, the rabbi tried to make things short due to the cold. Everyone was pretty composed until the first dirt hit the plain pine coffin. There is no sound I know of that speaks to the finality of death.

We went back to my aunt and uncle's house. It seems weird that no one lives there anymore after the countless family events that took place there. My guess is that my cousins will sell it, although one made some noise about moving in.

Tonight some are going to religious services which I'm going to skip. I'm going to hook up with a cousin and her husband and grab a cheesesteak and a beer (or two).

No comments: