Friday, January 9, 2009

Hangin' with my Cousins

One of the benefits of coming to Philly is that I get to hang with my cousin. On my mom's side of the family there's 12 of us, including me and my brother. While only four still live in Philly, it is ground zero of our get togethers. So, while most of the mourners went their separate ways tonite, I got together with one of my cousins and her hubby as, by coincidence, they had a sitter already lined up for tonight.

We started at one of my fave cheesesteak places in Philly, Chubby's, then went to the Manyunk section of town for a couple of drinks. It was great getting caught up with them. My cousin used to have a decorative plate business, but gave it up to home school her son (who's the same age as the HB, pretty smart, but has some significant behavioral issues) and take care of her mom (my aunt) who is in a nursing home after suffering a signfiicant stroke 4 years ago. Her hubby, who's a great guy, is a computer programmer. The wife and I hang with them when we can. In fact, when another one of my cousins got married in Santa Barbara, the four of us went wine tasting and were totally smashed by the time we got to the rehearsal dinner.

So, we got caught up about the kids, work, etc and generally had a really good time. I wasn't surprised by it because the 12 of us have always had a pretty special bond. This was the big reason I came out here this weekend. I know they'll do the same for me and my brother when the time comes.

No comments: