Saturday, November 15, 2008

Foodie Nirvana, etc.

Tonight we're going to an anniversary party. It's the 40th for a cousin of a cousin (or some such) and her husband. hey are total foodies, so they are having it at Spago. The wife and I have been to a few of Puck's other restaurants (always great), but this is our first time at the flagship. I'm looking forward to it. In fact, I was telling Lola that I might binge-and-purge while we are there so I can eat more. I promise a full report tomorrow.

In HS football news, the NZS's team won last night, making them co-champs of their league. He was pretty psyched for his mates (his knee still hurts too much to dress) and also excited about the possibility of playing in an upcoming playoff game or two. Right now he has a bug up his ass to go to school in the US, so he's finding colleges that don't require SATs etc with the hope that he can walk on to play soccer and get a scholarship. We'll see about that.

On the home front, my mil is being a complete pain in the ass. She's got BAD emphesema (years of smoking Camels where it didn't matter which end was lit). She's always seen herself as the queen of the family, but she has not loyal subjects. She's a constant complainer and lives in the (60 years) past. Several months ago, my wife and her sibs FINALLY convinced her that she needed live-in help (she's on 24/7 oxygen and doesn't have the strength to cook or bathe). The woman who is with her (let's call her Phyllis) most of the time seems nice enough and competent (keeps my mil clean, fed and on her meds) but all my mil does is bitch about her. And lately she's been getting what my wife says is verbally abuse.

Now, my mil seems to think she can make it on her own when Phyllis takes her every-other-month 8 day vacation. Fat fucking chance. Just what we need right before Thanksgiving. She'd be even crankier and bitchier since she'd be off of her Prozac for a week and she'd stink. Plus, my wife would be miserable since she'd be driving down there every other day as her mom calls because she can't find her shoes or to bitch about something else. I try not to drink too much in front of the HB and NZS, but thatwould put me over the edge on Thanksgiving. Fuck.

No comments: