Wednesday, October 22, 2008

World Series

Here's my third (and final) post of the night, so you may need to read further down.

By the time this gets posted it will be after the game's over, but right after I get done watching the first game of the World Series on DVR. I do want to go on record saying that I'm pulling for the Phillies. Nothing against the Rays, who vanquished the hated Red Sox, but not only do I have lots of family in Philly, but it's been forever since their sports teams won anything.

Now, you're saying, "But Chat, the Rays have never even BEEN to the World Series. Doesn't that count for something?" and you'd be right. Here's the thing. The Rays have only had 9 years of futility, but the Lightning won the Stanley Cup in 2004, so folks in Tampa are not exactly long suffering for a championship.

Philly has teams in the major 4 professional sports. They have not won a championship since 1983. That's 103 seasons of not bringing home the big prize. Only Cleveland, with probably the most heart wrenching defeats, has more at 158 seasons. The only other cities that can even enter the long suffering argument are Buffalo (80 seasons with two teams), San Diego (90 seasons with 3 teams if you include the Clipper years) and Seattle (92 seasons with 3 teams, and they don't even have the Sonics--who won the only championship--around anymore).

So, you nasty, cynical, we'll-boo-Santa Claus mutherfuckers, I'm with ya in this one. I even whipped up cheesteaks tonight with the HB to lend moral support. If that doesn't work, I'll hunt down some Tastykakes.

Tonight's result: Phillies 3, Rays 2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now all I can think about are Tastykakes. There goes Thursday.

Chat Wrecker said...

You're welcome, Jen.

I changed my mind. I guess I'll have to go find some Tastykakes today to keep the good mojo going.