Friday, October 24, 2008

Hookey Day

The HB and I made it to the golf course today. It was a short, nine-hole par-3, hard against the freeway. He was psyched as he had a new bag of clubs (well, new to him, I got them from a buddy who used them when teaching his son to play) and got to play of a "real" course. He seemed to have a good time and was hitting the ball better until he got a blister on his right hand (which is odd since he's a right handed golfer). So, I wrapped up the last few holes and we got him a golf glove later in the day.

Since the NZS wasn't suiting up tonight, we didn't go to his school's football game (which they won). Rather, we grabbed some dinner and went to the LA County Museum of Art, where they have jazz on Friday nights. It wasn't until we saw the banners than I remembered there was an exhibit of Vanity Fair covers. I figured this would be a good diversion for the HB (he'd recognize at least some of them) as there was not way he was going to sit for the music for more than 30 min at a time.

So, we listened to a set and checked out the exhibit. I promised him I would tell him who all the famous people were. Most were pretty easy, and there were a few "teaching" moments, like when we came across photos of Jesse Owens and Ernest Hemmingway. We listened to a bit more music, then grabbed one of the to-die-for brownies (for the wife after she got home, of course) and headed home.

Sleeping in tomorrow would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: