Friday, October 17, 2008

School Daze

Today I spent 3 hours on the campus of the middle school where the HB would attend if we didn't have him in private school. There's a group of local parents who are trying to improve the local schools, including this one, so that more local kids will attend them. I'm here to say that they are failing.

I found a classroom nearly bereft of computers and other learning aids. Not only that, the walls were almost bare. Very few group projects (although one seemed to be based on a local pizza place's menu) or other evidence of creative thinking. When the students got unruly when I was speaking, as the guest I had to bring order as the teacher (who was essentially having a vacation day) couldn't be bothered.

At lunch we ate in the teacher's lounge. Lots of posters about UTLA goings on, but, like the website, nothing about improving the quality of education. OK, if you got to the BOTTOM of the webpage there is some information about professional development.

I'd rather not spend the money on private school, but I think that's going to continue to be in the cards.

Tonight we went to the NZS's football game. I gotta say, the team impressed me. The fell behind 17-0, but came back to win 35-17--on the road. Once they cut down on the turnovers and protected their QB, things really turned. The only bad part was that the NZS didn't play (bum knee).

Tomorrow the HB starts on a new theater production. This is a good thing. He's got a bit too much time on his hands during the weekends. Unfortch, while he's there I need to got to a memorial for a guy in my Rotary Club. We didn't always see eye-to-eye, but he cared about the kids in our neighborhood like nobody else. He's already missed.

No comments: