Sunday, March 1, 2009

Mah Babee's Sick!

Yesterday I'm with the NZS2 and the HB coming back from some errands and my fave burger joint when all kinds of lights start showing up on the dashboard of the Prius. We were on the freeway, so I pull over into the emergency lane and check the owner's manual on what all this means. All it said for this combination was, "Get to a dealer immediately, dumbshit." Fortunately, we were close to the place where I bought it.

We pull in and I start talking to a guy with Service on the desk nameplate. He proceeds to tell me that they can't look at it until Monday (we're 30 miles from home), blah, blah, blah. So, I ask him if it's safe to drive the dealer closest to my house. He says, "I dunno. I don't know anything about the cars, I just schedule the servicing." WTF? Since it's not smelling or making bad noises, I decide to drive it back.

Paying much more attention to it, I notice that the engine is occasionally surging and that the AC no longer works. Armed with this info, I call the dealer near my house and talk to someone who knows something about service. He seems to think that I'll be able to make it there (and, if not, I've got AAA) and they can take a look at it (by now it's pushing 2:30 and they close at 4:30). We make it there with no problem and my wife picks us up. The service dude calls back at 4:15 and says that the inverter pump. There's some disagreement on Prius chat sites as to whether this is engineering problem with the car or not. Mine's got 75k miles, so who knows.

The best news is that fixing it is still under warranty. We'll have to scramble a bit on Monday morning as I normally take the HB to school and the wife has some morning meetings, but we'll make it work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whew. at least you have the warranty work.