Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I'm From Your Government and I'm Here to Run Your Business

I don't know about you, but my mail delivery generally sucks. It's unreliable as some stuff from crosstown can get here in a day or a week. A friend tried to send me something from another part of the city and it keeps getting sent back due to a bad address, even though it's correct. WTF? And getting a magazine the week it comes out is completely out of the question.

Note that the postal service was created by the Continental Congress. That's right, we had postal service in the US before we had independence. So, they've had 233 years to perfect it. I guess they are counting on another 233.

In the meantime, the Obama administration has decided that they know how to run car companies. Which isn't to say the the car companies do it well. But, this is the double-edged sword of the bailouts. As a taxpayer, I don't want to be giving these assholes my money without more accountability and having a say in things. As the receiver of abysmal government services, I don't think there are people in Washington who have a clue on how to run General Motors.

I also don't like the government picking and choosing who stays or who gets fired at a company. Who is to say that GM's CEO was more/less incompetent that Chrysler's, but Waggoner was the one who got the boot. I don't think it's a stretch to say that other factors besides performance (e.g., politics) could cost an executive a job in the future if the Feds keep giving money to failing businesses.

In times of emergency, Bush didn't have confidence in our consitution and as a result we've lost rights and we're less safe. Now in times of emergency, Obama has lost faith in our economic system. Don't bet on us coming out better in the end.

No comments: