Saturday, March 14, 2009

HB Update

As I write this, the HB's taking his guitar lesson. I love his teacher. He's a very good musician and has been recorded playing guitar and drums. He teaches at a couple of schools and still records and tours (a little). We're about the same age, so we can talk about the same bands, etc.

I like that he's teaching he HB basic blues stuff first (he's got the music theory pretty well down from his piano lessons) and building on that. They also play songs (their doing Back in Black right now) rather than doing endless drills. This gives the HB a sense of accomplishment at the end of each lesson and when he practices. I have to admit, the HB's in a bit of a lull in his excitement about playing. But, I remember from my playing days that it goes in cycles. At least I hope that's the case as I'm going to meet the teacher later this afternoon at a guitar shop to the get the HB an electric guitar and amp for his birthday (shhhh....it's a secret).

The HB's callback for Iago in Alladin, Jr. went well in his eyes. My s-i-l went with my wife to the audition and claims that she poked her head in and the HB was doing his lines flawlessly, etc. Of course, he's the apple of her eye and everything he does is perfect. Usually when he gets callbacks it's for a few roles (none of which he ever got) so I'm wondering if he's really being considered for this one since it's the only one he was called back for. I guess we'll see.

Thursday I attended the orientation session preceeding the HB's class going on their first overnight. With all of the paperwork, you might have thought they were going to the Amazon for a month. And, the over protective West LA parents made it even worse. What are they going to eat? When are the bunk assignments going to be made? It is going to be hot? Is it going to be cold? Christ...it's ONE night about 90 miles away and there are going to be plenty of adults there. I'm thinking it's going to be fine and the kids will have a great time. Who knows, maybe they'll actually learn something.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

go HB!!! whoo!! here's hoping he'll be an amazing Iago...