Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The War On...

There's a man in his 70's who lives around the corner from us who walks in the morning. I saw him today as I was getting the paper. He asked me (out of the blue), "So, has George W. called you for any advice?" I paused for a moment, then responded, "Yeah, but he doesn't seem to listen to it." I bring this up since last week the administration had the balls to say that Bush's strategy of fighting them (Al Quaeda, presumably) over there isn't going so well. Even more conservative papers reported on it. A couple of things come to mind:

1) Where is the outrage? I can see how Bush/Cheney put the WMDs front and center when selling the war. Seeing bad guy with bombs is something people can relate to. But, wasn't getting Al Quaeda the *real* reason for going over there. Or was it toppling Hussein? At least he got that done (for better or for worse).

2) This really shows how Bush took the his eye off of the ball by going to Iraq. Fuck, he can barely walk and chew bubble-gum, let alone handle to complex things at once. Iraq wasn't a threat, but now we are ass deep in that quagmire. Al Quaeda was, and now is even more so.
So, we've been fighting a preemptive war for four years and the enemy is getting STRONGER. Oh, and by the way, the Taliban (remember them, the ones who were in bed with Bin Laden?) tried to off Cheney today.

One thing that I'm already sick of are the Dems trying to justify their votes on going to war (or, in Obama's case, crowing about what he might have done). You know what? Right now, I don't give a shit as to whether they bought Bush's story. Tell me how you will get us out of there and the ramifications of doing so. Not that I would vote for any of them, but it would be good information for those still making up their minds.

No comments: