Saturday, June 27, 2009

Celebrity Death Week

I love watching and observing people with talent. At the same time, I HATE celebrity. When I worked at the radio station I had the chance to meet many famous, destined to be famous, and destined never to be famous musicians. The one thing I took away from this was that they weren't all that different from talented people in other areas, but, the had an inordinate amount of attention lavished on them due to their potential to be celebrities.

The Michael Jackson story is somewhat interesting because it's so convoluted. The important thing to bear in mind is that he hasn't put out a relevant record in more than 20 years. Yet, his celebrity lived on. But, he had the borderline abusive dad, the Svengali-like producer and the performer's childhood. He seemed to have never gotten a grip on the deal that all performers make: You give up some of the "normal" life to lead the extraordinary life. Talented young musicians and athletes have to deal with this. Most kinda-sorta do, but, clearly, Jackson did not.

I've never been a big fan of his music. I enjoyed the Jackson 5 before discovering rock, and I think that some of those songs were his best. I never liked disco, so "Off the Wall" had no appeal. Likewise, outside of the out of place Eddie Van Halen solo on Beat It, I wasn't that interested in "Thriller". But, the impact of those records in pop music is undeniable and made it very possible for singers like Beyonce and Usher to "crossover".

Considering that his best creative years were well behind him, I was caught a bit off-guard by the huge outpouring by people who weren't even born yet when Thriller came out. I guess I was wondering why people felt this need to defend him. Wasn't his music enough? Why were they so defensive regarding his bizarre personal life? What type of glory were they reflecting in?

In some ways, Farrah Fawcett was a more tragic figure than Jackson. She was always written off as no more than a sex-symbol. Did she have more potential as an actress? We'll never know. At the same time, like Jackson, she was clearly uncomfortable with her celebrity.

Ed McMahon loved being a celebrity. Divorces, bad investments, and a celebrity lifestyle clearly led him to hawking himself far longer than he wanted to. Johnny Carson showed him a lot of loyalty from their touring days until Carson scored the Tonight Show gig. I feel bad for him whoring himself on those commercials about selling your gold during the Super Bowl.

In the end, I'm sad for the families. But, we shouldn't let what happens to celebrities take our eyes off of the ball of what's important. Iraq. Afghanistan. The Recession.

No comments: