Saturday, June 27, 2009

Back Home

Just got back a few hours ago from the trip. I picked up a bit of a cold, but otherwise it was pretty fun. Thursday we went through the Badlands, which was amazing. The only place I can think of that's like it here is Joshua Tree. Interesting places to walk, great rocks and DESOLATE landscape. Almost like being on the moon. OK, a really HOT moon. We did see plenty of buffalo and prairie dogs in the north part of the park.

Driving through the prairie on the way back, the wife and I kept thinking that when those recent immigrants bought this land then actually moved out west, the must have thought, "What in the fuck?!" in German, Czech, Swiss, Finnish, etc. So much of everything, except water. Screaming hot in the summer, freezing fucking cold in the winter. Sign me up!

We came back to our hotel through Custer State Park. I would highly recommend it. Saw as much wildlife there as in the Badlands, but much closer. Plus there's fishing, hiking, nice restaurants, etc. The only problem is that it's $15 to get in, even if you just want to eat. Plan on staying a while.

Friday was the big driving day. The big stop was Devil's Tower in Wyoming (the rock in Close Encounters). It was cloudy and cool, but a great thing to see and walk around. From there we drove to see our vacation friends south of Denver (same place where we saw the tornado last year). The HB stayed with their twin boys (13) while we grabbed dinner and closed a bar with some serious local flavor. It was great seeing them and we started talking about our next trip (maybe the Missouri baseball loop). I wish I were feeling better so I could have been more involved in the conversations.

We caught the plane home this morning, picked up the dog, etc. It's nice to be home. I'm looking forward to getting some serious sleep. But, not until I do laundry, go to the supermarket, etc.

No comments: