Thursday, May 28, 2009

My M-I-L is Dead

My wife called me at about 9am yesterday to tell me that her mom had died. It was peaceful in the sense that she was pretty sedated at the end and died in her sleep. Of course, that was nothing like the weeks leading up to it. The wife has mixed emotions. Obviously sad that her mom's gone, but relieved that the suffering is done.

My b-i-l flew in from Albuquerque and will be staying for the week ("Where was he last week when we needed him," sniffed my wife). He's the executor of the will and had power of attorney, so I would imagine he'll be meeting with the lawyer, real estate agent, etc.

We (my wife and her sibs, the HB, and the nephew) all got together last night for dinner. The oldest s-i-l was already three sheets to the wind. She's one of those death story tellers. "Oh, she just needed our permission to go (the woman wanted to die for at least two years now)." "She heard all of our last words and that was comforting to her (she was so hard of hearing it was difficult to have a reasonable conversation with her when she was fully coherent; I can't imagine all of the morphine helped). Whatever, if that makes her feel better, who am I to rain on her parade.

The people my wife works with sent a HUGE flower arrangment. She was kind of taken aback by it as she's not into things that are ostentatious. In a way, she found it depressing because it's such a reminder that her mom's gone.

As in all things, life goes on. We have a guy coming to take a look at our kitchen at noon. The HB's off of school today and tomorrow, but has rehearsals. The NZS2 has to buckle down more on his studies and he'll see some of his fellow exchange students for the last time on Sunday. And, the Lakers came through late in the 3rd/4th quarters last night to take charge of their series with Denver 3 games to 2.

No comments: