Saturday, May 2, 2009

I Guess Sometimes the Presentation Has Something to Do With It

The stars aligned tonight and the wife and I went to dinner together. Just the two of us. On the way to the restaurant I joked with her that it felt like when the HB was young and we'd joke on way to dinner that it was nice to eat while not worrying about picking up cheerios.

We'd never been to this restaurant (an Italian place in the San Fernando Valley), but we "won" a gift certificate to it at a charity auction (probably through the the HB's school). Traffic was amazingly light for a Saturday night and we were way early for our reservation. Fortunately, they had an empty table for us.

She ordered the soup and pumpkin filled tortellini (I'm with ya, it's a fall, not a spring, meal). I had the crab cakes and the seafood risotto with squid ink. The waiter specifically asked me if I was OK with the ink, and I said yes. Generally, the service was excellent.

The appetizers were huge. Having them with some wine and a basket of bread would have been enough. Then came the main courses. The torellini was pretty bland. My risotto had so much squid ink in it that it came out looking like a bowl of steaming (it was hot) shit. At least it tasted good. We paid what remained of our bill and hustled out.

The wife's been totally beat from dealing with all of her shit with her mom. So, after getting home (and confirming that the NZS2 was staying at a friend's), we went upstairs for a quickie. We came down to watch a movie and she was asleep in about 7 minutes. I'm not going to be too far behind her.

No comments: