Thursday, May 7, 2009

Details and Randomness

I'll admit it. I'm not a great details person. My work, like everyone else's, I suppose, requires it on occasion. So I'm working on this automated report in Access for 170+ people. I run tons of demos using different people and all of the numbers check out. So, I let it fly and send the reports to my client.

She call back later in the morning to say that roughly 15 of them are fucked up. Hunh? I go through all of them and find a few more. Here's the thing--there's no rhyme or reason to the errors. There are seven different versions of the report, but messed up ones are spread across them. Worse than that, I can't recreate the error. I rerun all of them and they come out PERFECT. I spot check some others and they are PERFECT.

At the risk of being overly dramatic, this random occurrence probably cost me this client. I don't know what's worse, me making the error or not being able to figure out what the fuck it is so I can prevent it in the future.

The got sent out this morning east coast time and I haven't heard anything back, so I'm going to assume that everything's OK. I need a nap so I don't screw anything else up.

No comments: