Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Now That Was a Disappointment

A couple of weeks ago my wife sent me an e-mail asking if I wanted to go see Emmylou Harris. Neither of us are country music fans, but she is an icon and the tix were half-priced at the fair, so we figured what the fuck. So, we dropped off the HB at my parents house and we went.

It was a beautiful evening (we saw her at an outdoor venue), but the place was more than half-empty. Not the healthiest looking people in the crowd as well. And there was one woman who had a shaved head and a very 60s psychedelic design across her skull. I was surprised that there weren't any ladies with all gray hair like Emmylou. I guess only certain women can pull that off.

We caught one of the opening bands (Ricky Scaggs playing bluegrass and constantly hawking his CDs), then Ms. Harris came on stage. I don't know if she had a cold or not, but her voice was shot and she had a hard time hitting a lot of notes. Also, the songs seemed to all be at the same tempo and many were in the same key. So, it was poorly sung and boring.

We left after about 7 or 8 songs and hit our favorite bar/restaurant near my parents' house. It's VERY dark in there, with black upholstery and waiters in tuxedos. We go there for the rusty nails and fried zucchini. The drinks are huge and well priced. Unfortunately, we got there after the kitchen closed. What kills me is that even though we only go there a couple of times a year, the bartenders remember our order.

We chatted and watched the highlights of Lackey's near no-hitter against the Red Sox. The HB was still up when we got to my folks, but he quickly fell asleep in the car. I'm going to be really bummed when he quits doing that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sorry to hear about emmylou. glad you got the good rusty nails!