Sunday, July 13, 2008

Gods Who Walk Among Us

I try to stay about from posting about people who just died. It's too easy and unoriginal. But this morning I feel compelled to.

I do not believe in god, eternal spirits, life energy, or any of that stuff. I do think that we are all born with differing talents and drives to develop them. At best, most of us our abilities and determination to make the world better for those immediately around us. Michael DeBakey, who died on Friday, made a difference in the lives of untold millions.

Dr. DeBakey performed heart surgery on tens of thousands of people, but created surgical instruments and techniques that are used on almost anyone who has cardiovascular surgery. He was also one of the first researchers to link smoking to heart disease.

Because of his work, my father and several friends are alive today. Dr. DeBakey, thank you for your life.

No comments: