Tuesday, November 6, 2007

New Feature!

The observant ones in the group will notice that I've started to list what's on my MP3 player. No, not an iPod, an MP3 player (I can't stand Apple or their products). I like to listen to music, especially when I'm analyzing data, though I can't when I'm writing or reading. The MP3 gets the most use when I'm exercising. Being old school, I tend to put full albums, rather than just cuts, on it. Usually the albums are faves where I know all of the lyrics or new stuff.

Generally, as you can tell, the music is high energy. But, good songs (mellow or otherwise) are often included. The newest on there is Neil Young's Chrome Dreams II. I've really enjoyed his music ever since I heard a camp counselor play Cowgirl in the Sand on guitar. He's a rare artist who tries new things, but doesn't forget about what he does best. Also, he's the only famous musician that I know of who did a entire album about Iraq and politics. Do I like all of his records? No, but I'm willing to go for the ride.

Chrome Dreams II is unusual, for him, in that it contains many styles of music (folk, country, pre-grunge). Most of his records stick with one style. The best track is an opus called Ordinary People. It covers very familiar ground for him: working people, politics, and love. This does lead me to one beef with him. In a recent interview Young said of the venues for his tour, "They have to be auditoriums. The audio part is very important. I prefer that they be old." So, then why was his LA show at the BRAND NEW Nokia Theater? And, check out those ticket prices...ouch! Hopefully he'll be back in the summer at more reasonable prices.

No comments: