Wednesday, March 28, 2007

How Do You Fire a Friend?

This is going to suck. Occasionally, Lynn needs some money to keep the wolves from her door. When she asks me for some I'll send it to her (and sometimes I've sent her some when it's clear that she needs it). There's no way she would ever be able to pay it back, so she'll work it off by doing some back office work for my firm. This isn't government make work. There are occasions where I do need this kind of stuff to be done, so it really is a win-win. In general she does an OK job.

Three weeks ago I asked her to do some updates on my website. No programming, just copying-and-pasting into a template and updating some links. At the time there wasn't a rush, so when she wasn't making much progress it wasn't a big deal (and I told her so). Last week the project took on some urgency because I knew an article that was going to be published on the web about some work I had done was going to drive traffic to the site. Simultaneously, I was launching some pay-per-click advertising as well. She and I spoke about this and she told me when she was going to be able to work on it. I spent some time with her on the phone going through (again) what I needed done and left her a message last Friday asking if she needed any help. Long story short: Come yesterday she still hadn't done the work. I spent yesterday doing the work she told me she was going to do. Then I sent her an IM and an e-mail to let her know that she had been relieved of this particular duty. I'm not looking forward to her response/phone call.

No comments: