Monday, December 29, 2008

Hookey!

OK, today was going to be a psuedo work day. The wife needed to go in for a few hours then I was going to work for a bit. Coming back from Vegas I promised the HB that I would take him sledding this week, thinking that Tuesday would be the best day. Well, after looking at our calendar, that clearly wasn't the case. So, I shut down the computer, called one of the HB's best friends (and a kid the wife and I really like, as opposed to the BS), packed some snacks and warm weather gear and headed to the mountains.

Some brief LA jingoism--one of the many things that makes this a great place to live is that we can be in the snow (in the mountains, where it belongs) in 90 minutes or less (usually), even though I'm less than 10 minutes from the beach. However, this being a holiday week, the traffic up the mountain completely sucked, so it took us 2.5 hours (another reason I hate skiing--even the ride to the slopes is a pain in the ass).

But, we made it and and the conditions were perfect. Not a cloud in the sky, mid-50s temps and lots of good sledding. The HB had is obligatory wipe-out (this time into a tree stump, but he only had some scratches and got right back on), but otherwise we had a great time. On the way home we stopped for some food at the world's slowest Del (Hell) Taco (NEVER go to the one at the intersection of CA Highway 138 and Interstate 15), but made good time after that.

The boys were awesome despite the extra car time. In fact, a sleepover at the good kid's house has already been arranged for the Saturday night. This will allow the wife and I to go use a restaurant gift card for the Saddle Peak Lodge, a place we've wanted to go to for a long time.

Tomorrow, I'll definitely have to put the nose to the grindstone. There are a couple of smouldering client issues and end of the year tax stuff that require my attention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

JELLIS.