Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hatin' on the Haters

Oh, where to start...

I know. You remember those pond scum who protest at military funerals saying that the soldiers had it coming because American tolerates (sorta) gays and lesbians? No, I'm not going to link to them. Well, they're still at it, and spreading their message of love...and by that I mean, the opposite of love.

There's a high school near me that's going to put on a production of RENT (be happy, Jen). This school is in the middle of VERY republican country, so we're talking about a bunch of relatively conservative rich kids. But, our friends from the midwest can't let this stand, so they are on their way to protest. What, I don't know (freedom of speech? operas being turned into popular plays?). Silver lining? You know they're gonna sell far more tickets than they would have otherwise. Maybe then the school will have enough money to hire a gay drama teacher.

I don't know about where you live, but out here the animal rights groups are starting to take on a terrorist vibe. I believe that as the top dog in the land food chain we have some responsibilities towards other critters and, let's face it, animal research isn't pretty (nor is farming, for that matter). Sure, most of the animals are bred to be killed during the research, but that's not the point. But, we tolerate it to support product and medical research (some of which saves other animals' lives, I suppose).

If these people want to protest to make conditions more humane for animals and minimize the amount of research done on them, I willing to listen. But, I'm not for getting rid of it entirely and firebombing houses and cars undercuts their non-violent message.

Now that Bush the C-Student is out, some UCLA researchers grew a pair (hm...perhaps cloned a pair?) and protested against the intimidation. This is not the most extroverted group of people on the planet, so they must really be pissed. And I don't blame them. I'm thinking the FBI's going to be a bit more sympathetic towards them now that there are two people who can read in the White House.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

*jaw drop*

High school production of RENT?

Wow. Just a smidgen beyond awesome.

I've never hated living over here more. Not because the haters are from the midwest because, dude, haters be everywhere. No, I'm hating it because that will be a bitch of a commute to take in a high school show.

Chat Wrecker said...

It's playing through next weekend. Best bet is to fly into John Wayne/Orange County airport and get a cute hotel room over looking the ocean in Laguna Beach. Las Brisas has the killer outdoor bar and Mexican food. Just sayin'

Anonymous said...

Haaa....if only.

Finals, work, you know the drill.

P.S. Who knew nursing school at this place would go all Old Testament on my ass if I DIDN'T cover my tattoo?